Bud was born in 1913 at Barrie, Ontario. He received his General Matriculation and then did two years at Chiropractic College. He received his Private Pilots License in 1939.
At Toronto he enlisted in the RCAF on July 2, 1940. He did his initial training at #1 Manning Depot, Toronto; #1 ITS Toronto; #2 Wireless School, Calgary; #2 B & G School, Fingal and in February 1941 received his WOP/AG wing at Fingal.

In March of 1941 he was posted to the Uxbridge Holding Unit in London, England. His next training took place at #23 OTU Pershore, Worcs. in May, 1941 on Wellington Mk. 1s.
He was posted to #12 Squadron, RAF #1 Group, Bomber Command.

Most Memorable Operation

Can a lucky charm help you in a life-or-death situation? Several stories Bud tells of his experiences on ops may have convinced him.
“Half-way though my tour, I was asked to fly with a green crew on their first op. I had a feeling that this was going to be a rough one. At that time, I was going with a WAAF and she wore a necklace with a unique stone in it, which she said would protect her in an accident. I asked to make a wish on it but she insisted that I take it. I did, thank goodness!”
Hi by flak over Cologne, the pilot nursed the aircraft back to England where he made a crash landing near a balloon centre outside Manchester. The aircraft burst into flames and Bud was thrown clear of the  rear turret. Aided by personnel fromt the balloon centre, Bud attempted to extricate the crew members from the aircraft. (Two later died in hospital). Bud and another crew member were also taken to hospital for treatment. He recalled seeing a man, a woman and some children running toward the aircraft --- a man he was to meet in Canada years later.
Bud says that he was told that the Commanding Officer was going to recommend him for a decoration for his effort to save the crew but the CO went missing on a later op and Bud says that he is still waiting for the medal! He did, however, return the necklace to the young woman --- with appropriate thanks!
In another incident, Bud recalls that a friend was not feeling well and asked if Bud would fill in for him on a trip. At briefing, the friend appeared saying that he felt will enough to make the trip in order to finish his tour with his crew. Unfortunately, the aircraft did not return from that op --- and Bud, understandably, felt that his luck was still holding up.
Bud joined another cew with an Australian pilot who was half-way his tour. They had some exciting times over Paris and Rostock. Bud was in hospital for a time and received a note  from his pilot saying that on another op, they had five feet shot off a wing of the aircraft. When Bud returned from hospital, he heard that his crew had gone missing. “My luck was still holding”, he says.
Bud returned to Canada in 1944, posted to #6 B&G, Mountainview and discharged in 1945.
Bud went into the assessment field in the assessment department of Markham Township, assuming the post of Assessor for Richmond Hill in !958. (It was in his office in Richmond Hill that Bud met an Englishman and struck up a conversation. As they reminisced about places in England which they both knew, it turned out that this was the man who, with his wife and children had run out to Bud’s burning aircraft near Manchester many years before!
Soon after his release from the RCAF, Bud and Kay Wark of Richvale were married.       May 25,2001